The woman suing the New York City Ballet for breach of contract has dropped the ballet from her complaint after striking a deal with the company over the terms of their sharing arrangement.
In her complaint, filed in August, Priscilla Cohen had alleged that the ballet improperly used photos of her after an off-hours photo shoot at the Brooklyn Museum. She had been working with Nathan Dougherty, a photographer for the New York Times, who photographed her and other people with his smartphone. She alleged that the company told him the photos were for the ballet’s website and that, because there were more expensive cameras, he was less likely to call a cab and wait at the entrance to the ballet hall so that he could get permission to shoot.
The ballet said that Mr. Dougherty did ask permission for his photos to be used on the site, and a spokesman said that the photographs remained in Mr. Dougherty’s camera roll. The company offered to pay Mr. Dougherty for the license, and a spokesman said Mr. Dougherty accepted.
In the complaint, Ms. Cohen had also described shooting photos at a holiday party for the ballet’s board of trustees, but said that dancers and other people, from Mr. Dougherty’s crew, told her that the photography contract of the party was different than those with the ballet. Ms. Cohen did not immediately respond to a request for comment Thursday.
After the complaint was filed, the ballet offered to settle the lawsuit for $20,000; Ms. Cohen, who left the ballet for personal reasons in March, declined. The ballet issued a statement Thursday afternoon to announce that the lawsuit was dropped.
“After six months of good faith negotiations, the parties have now reached a fair resolution of all issues,” the statement said.