Photos: Daniel Zuchnik, Elisabeth Bumiller, Stephen Braun/The New York Times, Daniel Zuchnik / Los Angeles Times, Stephen Braun / Los Angeles Times, Shaun Tandon, Steve Rowlands / New York Times, Joel Robuchon/EFE via Getty Images, Elaine Thompson / The Canadian Press/Pool
The Department of Homeland Security announced that it had so far made no arrests after its newest “cyber mission” on Saturday, when the Trump administration said it was using the D.C. Metro system for a test of two new technologies. Here are some of the posts on social media:
On Sunday, the acting secretary of Homeland Security, Elaine Duke, said the D.C. Metro deployment was actually a success.
Since that initial tweet on Saturday, the website for the Department of Homeland Security was blocked.
But on Monday, Duke gave an update saying the department had set up three simultaneous test zones on the D.C. Metro. This type of test deployment is run not only in Washington but also in New York and London.
“We have successfully expanded our U.S. footprint with a second deployment on the New York Subway,” Duke said in a statement. “We are working with our federal partners to enhance the capability and effectiveness of our programs to counter and detect cyber threats that could potentially impact critical infrastructure.”
In the statement, Duke said one of the subway test areas lasted around three hours.
The Pentagon’s secretive National Security Agency did not participate in the test, and on Tuesday, a Pentagon spokeswoman said that the Pentagon’s Cyber Command did not participate in the D.C. Metro deployment.