Adrian Moya-Baptiste, 41, was one of the men in the car who killed four people after he had already been released early from jail, sheriff’s officials said.
Days after the killings in Jacksonville, Fla., Ms. Vigdor reported that he was arrested again on drug charges. He was found in possession of cocaine on Sunday and ordered held without bail on an additional count of possession of narcotics, court officials said.
Hours after the murders, he was being held without bail in the Calhoun County Jail in Florence, S.C., while authorities and other suspects were being investigated.
Ms. Vigdor reported that Ms. Moya-Baptiste was found driving a car that killed Christina Bradley, 46, Michelle Carter, 32, and Kimberly Denise White, 46, after they had arrived at Ms. Bradley’s home in January to celebrate her daughter’s 28th birthday. The car broke down in the street and the four women were found with their throats slit, authorities said.
On Jan. 16, Ms. Moya-Baptiste was accused of stealing a truck from a Wal-Mart parking lot, according to inmate records. The vehicle was later found in Jackson, Miss., in an apparent attempt to dispose of the evidence.
Authorities in Jackson said earlier this month that they charged another man with murder in the case, Jabari Martin, but have not officially named Ms. Moya-Baptiste as a suspect.
A magistrate judge has issued an arrest warrant for Mr. Martin, charging him with four counts of first-degree murder. The arrest warrant alleges that Mr. Martin took the truck and drove to Jacksonville and fatally stabbed the women. The warrant also alleges that Mr. Martin did “with malice aforethought, kill the four, knowing they were unlawfully killed, therefore by killing the four he ordered death.”
During a press conference, Orlando Police Chief John Mina said that the arrests were “the first bit of good news we’ve had in this case.”
On Feb. 22, he told reporters: “We believe they are connected to this incident but do not have direct information connecting them to the crime scene at this time.”