Tiger Woods had a minor accident in the driveway of his home early on Thursday, local authorities said. The golfer was treated for back pain and released the same day, according to officials. Woods spoke with paramedics and told them “he had pain in his lower back.” That pain has lingered since, but he’s said to be expected to play golf this weekend.
• The accident happened about 3:30 a.m. on Woods’s Jupiter Island home.
• Woods was treated at St. Mary’s Medical Center.
• It is not immediately clear what happened.
• Woods was traveling outside of Jupiter Island at the time of the accident.
• Woods crashed his Mercedes, according to police reports, but Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Angelo Nieves told The Palm Beach Post that he could not confirm if it was a rollover collision.
• Woods was examined at St. Mary’s, then released and placed under house arrest, according to his lawyer, David B. Saltzman.
• Woods was traveling with his children when the crash happened.
• Several athletes joined Woods on Twitter on Thursday morning to send their well wishes. After he was treated, Woods posted on Twitter: “Thank you for the kind words everyone. I’m sore, but will be ok. I’m headed home now to get some treatment.
• Stars in the room as Tiger Woods is treated at St. Mary’s Medical Center. The scene is heartbreaking: Tearful father, friends, and fans. pic.twitter.com/mJF6RklZ66 — Samantha Schmidt (@samihersey1) February 22, 2017
Former teammate Greg Norman tweeted on Thursday morning, “Everyone wishing you a speedy recovery Tiger. Sending prayers and best wishes to you.”
Hope Tiger is doing ok everyone wishing you a speedy recovery Tiger. Sending prayers and best wishes to you. — Greg Norman (@GregNormanGolf) February 23, 2017
Former sponsor Tag Heuer said in a statement that “we would like to express our sympathies to Tiger Woods and his family and friends. Our priority is providing support to our athletes and our employees in times of need, and we will do so in this case.”
— Woods: A Show & Track (@TrackAndGolf) February 23, 2017
Woods has not played professionally since last August.